 Robotics / 19004
Re: RCX simulator ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:52:19 GMT

Stef Mientki wrote:

I stopped working on it because there wasn't much demand.

I see your simulator every half year, searching the web for one.
But maybe I'm very stupid, everytime I download the sources (all there
is) and then I don't know what to do with them (my computer doesn't know
either). Because I've a computer-type that has about 80% of the home
market, I'm probably not the only one having this problem ;-)

As someone who uses an operating system that has 80% of the OpenSource
developers, I think I can explain how you can get this software to work
even on a system with hopelessly inadequate OpenSource support.

     :-)

...If you use the (free!) Cygwin system, many Linux programs will
configure, compile and run OK under Windoze.  It's certainly worth
a try and when you develop using it, there is a much higher chance
that what you do won't destroy the version that probably runs just
fine under Linux,BSD,MacOS-X,Solaris and IRIX.

If I could use your core or your code it would be great.
But maybe our computer brands are too different to join efforts ??

No - with only a little care, one can quite easily write software that
runs on 99.9% of computers.  I wrote several games with graphics, sound,
joysticks, etc, etc - and they all run just fine on a dozen different OS's.

Although the simulator is still very premature, I test and debug all my
PIC programs with it now, I just add what I need. Talking with my son
the idea was born to implement the RCX, its actuators, its sensors, and
even rooms with obstacles.

I think you are *vastly* underestimating the difficulty of implementing
even the simplest set of physics to represent contact forces between
Lego parts.  You could perhaps start with something like ODE - but I
think it would bog down very rapidly with even a simple Robot design.

      http://www.q12.org/ode/ode.html

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net