 Robotics / 18981
Re: RCX simulator ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 05:06:55 GMT

Andy Gombos wrote:
Since when can Pov ray render an image of any useful size in realtime, or
something approaching realtime?

Yes - it's using ray-traced rendering to get good realism.  However, these
days you could do pictrures that are nearly as good with fancy OpenGL rendering
in realtime.

A modern 3D graphics card can easily draw at least a hundred thousand polygons
in "realtime" - so presuming you could model most Lego parts in about a hundred
polygons, you could draw ~1000 Lego parts in realtime...that should have most
Mindstorms robots covered.

> Very realistic, and realtime.  However, it used OpenGL for
rendering, and was a polygon based gradiant shaded method (Gurad? I haven't
flipped through my 3d graphics papers in a while).

Gouraud - it's the shading technique where the graphics system computes the
effect of lighting on the colour of each vertex of every polygon - and then
interpolates between them to get the colour at every pixel.  It's not as
realistic as ray-tracing - where you compute a unique lighting solution at
every pixel...but it's pretty good.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net