 Robotics / 19030
Re: RCX simulator ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:56:55 GMT

David Edwards wrote:

I'm writing a H8/3292 emulator, with a view to interfacing it with an
RCX simulator, to create an RCX emulator of sorts. I'm writing it in C
(which I only started learning pretty recently) and it's slow going
because I never quite know how to do something. It's fun though and is
definitely helping me learn.
The best way to learn a processor is to write a simulator/compiler or
whatsoever for it.

So far I've got it stepping through the RCX's ROM - using the
description on Kekoa Proudfoot's page,
Yes that's one of the standard works

  it seems to be doing the right
things - and I'm getting around to hooking it up so that I can
"download" some firmware using the emulated serial port
That's good, I'm not so far yet..

  (in fact, I'm
going to be cheating and encapsulating the data in a message rather than
manipulating the data lines on such a low level).
Could be good way to go, certainly for the first tests. It'll depend on
what you want to realize. Because I also want to test homemade
sensors/actuators, I'll go deeper, I'm even thinking of simulating the
38 kHz IR.

Also, it's not running particularly fast at the moment because
optimisation is the last thing on my mind... :-)
That's very good, structure first!
Dave Baum stated somewhere his compiler was far more faster than the
real RCX. Because I cann't simulate yet, ...
An important part of the optimization will be done by the builders of
the new computers ;-)

I look forward to seeing the JALss RCX when it's up and running! The GUI
certainly looks impressive. • That's the advantage of a "visual" language ;-)

Dave Edwards.

Dave, succes with the job,
and maybe we could exchange some ideas and discuss some problems,
(you can use my personal email address).

cheers,
Stef Mientki