 Robotics / 19005
Re: RCX simulator ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:31:36 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:
Stef Mientki wrote:

I stopped working on it because there wasn't much demand.

I see your simulator every half year, searching the web for one.
But maybe I'm very stupid, everytime I download the sources (all there
is) and then I don't know what to do with them (my computer doesn't
know either). Because I've a computer-type that has about 80% of the
home market, I'm probably not the only one having this problem ;-)

As someone who uses an operating system that has 80% of the OpenSource
developers, I think I can explain how you can get this software to work
even on a system with hopelessly inadequate OpenSource support.

    :-)

...If you use the (free!) Cygwin system, many Linux programs will
configure, compile and run OK under Windoze.  It's certainly worth
a try and when you develop using it, there is a much higher chance
that what you do won't destroy the version that probably runs just
fine under Linux,BSD,MacOS-X,Solaris and IRIX.

I cann't disagree with you, ...
but I live in an surrounding where even 99% is using this M$-OS.
And I'm just too simple to get Linux working ;-(
I'm not a software programmer, and learning one computer language was
difficult enough for me. So unfortunatly, I've to stick to that language
which is be used by 100% of collegaes.

If I could use your core or your code it would be great.
But maybe our computer brands are too different to join efforts ??

No - with only a little care, one can quite easily write software that
runs on 99.9% of computers.  I wrote several games with graphics, sound,
joysticks, etc, etc - and they all run just fine on a dozen different OS's.

Although the simulator is still very premature, I test and debug all
my PIC programs with it now, I just add what I need. Talking with my
son the idea was born to implement the RCX, its actuators, its
sensors, and even rooms with obstacles.

I think you are *vastly* underestimating the difficulty of implementing
even the simplest set of physics to represent contact forces between
Lego parts.  You could perhaps start with something like ODE - but I
think it would bog down very rapidly with even a simple Robot design.

As I said before, my knowledge of languages (also human) isn't too well,
so I guess we've a misunderstanding here.
Simulating a RCX can mean many things:
1. simulating the software and viewing internal and external "signals"
2. simulating the IO-ports, so you can also test homemade sensors/actuators
3. simulating simple movements with a left/right motor or power/steering
motor
4. simulating bumping against walls (just binary bump or not bump)
5. simulating IR transmission between RCX and Tower or another RCX
6. simulating the real torque of motors (which is indeed impossible,
never seen 2 motors that where exactly the same)
7. simulating real mechanics, you're pointing to
8. simulating the heath development of motors of motors etc...
9. simulating the degradation of the batteries
10. ... many other things

What I have in mind, are the above mentioned points 1,2,3,4,5,9, ....
so NO real mechanics  ;-(

     http://www.q12.org/ode/ode.html
yeah, that's difficult ...

best regards,