 Publishing / 1776
Re: Website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:18:16 GMT

Ding!  (Insert light bulb here)
Oooooohh!  Thanks!  I appreciate it, now I'll setup marsbase.com
I'm keeping the survey though. 8)

Ben

--
Ben Vaughan
ben@marsbase.com

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote in message news:FrIt4K.289@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.publish, Ben Vaughan writes:
Quite possibly I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
The mime type you listed and that are listed in the FAQ have the • extension:
.dat
and an application type:
application/x-ldlite
application/x-ldraw
If it doesn't matter, why specify then?

The application matters to the user/browser, but not the server.  The
application type tells the browser what kind of app to launch.  This • allows a
greater flexability for the end-user.

See, from the server end, an application type doesn't map directly to an
application; e.g. "application/x-ldraw" doesn't necessarily mean "use
LDRAW.EXE".  You (on the server end) simply map a file extension with an
application type; the user at the browser end does the mapping between the
application type and the application.

For example, someone using a Win32 browser may map MLCAD.EXE to both
application/x-ldraw and application/x-multi-part-ldraw -- but someone on a
linux browser might map /usr/local/bin/ldglite to them instead.  Or these
folks might map different applications to each type; e.g. mapping
application/x-ldraw to LDLITE, and application/x-multi-part-ldraw to a • script
which calls SPLITMPD.EXE and then launches LEDIT.EXE.  And so on.

I think some of the confusion might have come from the mime-type
application/x-ldlite.  I'm not entirely sure where that one came from; I • have
never used it on either the server or browser end, myself.

Anyway, here's part of my .htaccess (Apache server) file:

  AddType text/plain .man
  AddType text/plain .pl
  AddType text/plain .csv
  AddType application/x-ldraw .dat
  AddType application/x-multi-part-ldraw .mpd

I map text/plain to extensions .man , .pl , and .csv ; application/x-ldraw • to
.dat ; and application/x-multi-part-ldraw to .mpd .  When the Web server
fetches a .man file, it tells the browser it's a text/plain.  When the • server
fetches a .dat file, it tells the browser it's an application/x-ldraw. • etc.
The browser then decided which app to use for the application type.

Cheers,
- jsproat