 Publishing / 1758
Re: Website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:37:27 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Karim Nassar writes:

You asked for it, You got it... Toyota!

er... Pallas Spaceworks!

The moment has arrived :)  Due to popular demand, I have gone ahead and
launched the new Pallas Spaceworks site early.  Existing links to Pallas
Spaceworks will no longer work, and the current location will cease to exist
in the first week of April, but for the next two weeks, please browse and
enjoy!

As always, amazing models!  A little bit of constructive criticism on
raytracing (not that I'm an expert...[1])
Take, for example, this image:
http://www.etymon.org/kn/pallas/products/pimages/gallery_images/Vengenc7.jpg
The model is great, but I'd love to be able to see the detail better.  Instead
of moving the camera to take a shot like this, you could add a "rotate" command
to the object.  The lights, in position for lighting the standard view, would
still be well placed, allowing the details to show better.
Also, the shadows aren't dark enough for the low light in this shot.  Lowering
the ambient (AMB in L3P) light value of the parts might fix that.
If I wanted to be a real stickler for realism, I would point out that I doubt
most planets have three suns.  You could fix the multiple shadow problem by
adding "shadowless" to two of the "light_source"s.
Just some things to keep in mind for future raytraces (of future models!  Keep
up the great work!)
--Bram

1) I hope that might change...On my senior project application, I said I would
research and develop skills in 3-D CAD.  We'll see how that turns out...