 People / 2507
Re: Apology for Jesse Long
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 03:38:45 GMT

I gotta back Matt up here. People were acting quite normally towards Jesse
at first, only giving him constructive criticism as to how to get his points
across in posts. But look, Geordan, Jesse has been here for awhile (more
than a month at least, right?) and with every post, more and more people get
frustrated. In my case, Jesse asked me about ten or twenty times if I hate
him (for no apparent reason!!) and if I get mad at him. I never did until he
started repeating that question in every post, y'know? It kinda got on my
nerves after I replied three or four times, saying "no, I don't hate you!"...

Now, to be more specific...

In lugnet.people, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.space, Geordan Hankinson writes:
I agree with Jesse on this one Matt, You guys need to buck up and start
ating your age. Making fun of him for the way he posts, realates to people
ie, "how to post effectively 101" or whatever it was called, is stupid and
unnnesescary (sp). That is the way he posts and how he relates to other
people and there is no reason to make fun of Jesse for that, Do you make fun
of people who stutter? hopefully not. • <snip>
Do you make fun of people with different colour skin? again, hopefully not.
Stuttering and skin colour are things that cannot be helped, as are Jesse's
conditions. I want people to stop acting like children and treat Jesse with
the respect that he deserves.

This has *nothing* to do with skin color, and definitely not stuttering.
When you're typing a message online you can reread it, edit it as many times
as you like, etc; it's not like when you stutter and can't help it. It's
*definitely* not like skin color - which is not "to be helped" but also
shouldn't be! There's nothing to be ashamed of in one's skin color (not in
stuttering either, but much more so in skin color, if that makes sense...).
Look, I don't see anyone making fun of people for their spelling, even if
they make mistakes often, maybe (or maybe not!) for learning disability
reasons, etc. (OK, there are occasional jabs, but only when the mistake
leads to a funny word combination. Not really toward the person making it.)
Does that make sense? People are not laughing at Jesse because he can't post
well; they're annoyed because he doesn't seem to be trying. It's not at all
like stuttering, and *definitely* not to skin color!!!... it's a
behavior/netequitte thing, that you *can* change. Just like a lot of people
tease Larry for being self-conscious, like people get annoyed when excessive
threads are in the wrong places. We are a community - a society of sorts -
and we have norms of expected behavior. And the community will, as with any
other community, try to make people stick to that norm, within reason, and
without changing who they are. There are quite a few examples of people who
were not well-received at first, and who changed their attitude and behavior
and are now great contributing members of the community.

If this makes your respect level for me drop, fine I don't care, as long as
your respect for Jesse has gone up. (1)

It doesn't make my respect for you drop, nor my respect for Jesse go up...

<snip>

Now, I don't care how old someone is, or what may be said to be wrong with
them, but there is something to be said for "fitting in" (not a popular
concept in peoples minds, but one they have to adhere to each and every
day...no matter who they are, where they are, or what they are doing).

I agree here - I don't think you mean in the sense of "be like everyone
else, you should like this and that and hate this or that"... but rather in
the "there's some things we just do and some things we *don't*". For
example, in real life, the first sense would be "We don't like you coz you
don't like Britney Spears [ewww! ;-)] or don't wear these clothes", but more
along the lines of "don't walk around in the streets naked because it won't
be well received" and "don't walk up to people you don't know and stand 2
inches from them and stare" (unless you're on the subway and it's packed!!).
Does that make sense? We're not telling Jesse to like this thing or that,
we're not telling him to do things that are against his morals (I would
think!) but just a few simple (n)etiquette things. They would make his
opinion clearer and make people want to listen to him. And there is a lot to
be said about how you present your argument.

<snip>

Now, I'm not going to research posts at this point, because I feel I am
taking WAY to much time with this as it is (the phrase "beating a dead
horse" comes to mind),

Likewise. I've got more important things to do, so I'll pretty much end here...

so feel free to read EVERYTHING written by or to
Jesse on LUGNET, in chronoligical order. You'll see I'm right. On the rare
occasion that Jesse is coherent and civil to someone, they respond in kind.
You'll see the frustration grow. But keep this in mind...with EACH and EVERY
post to Jesse, a LUGNET member is still trying to communicate with him. NO
ONE has shut him out, shut him down, or shut him up.

Agreed.

If Jesse intends to stay around LUGNET, it is up to him to accept the
ribbing and teasing that his current behavior has earned him (and I've also
previously written about that, running gags and the collective comedy
conciousness and all). It is also up to him to accept the occasional
frazzled reply to his current posting style, or decide to change how he
interacts with others here to get the responses he desires. It's just that
simple.

Yup.

-Shiri