Re: Greenburg Show Dec 2nd & 3rd in Wilmington MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:20:46 GMT

It is pretty much open as far as how big a setup we want to do.  I think we
should think modestly but I also don't want to just to one 3x6 table.  In
looking at the PNLTC website http://www.pnltc.org/ they have a ton of
information about doing shows like this.  They also have plans for a modular
table system that is at least affordable although it is an added cost.

I think if we tried for a 10 foot by 10 foot layout that was about 2 1/2 feet
wide with a opening for a control station in the middle and a single loop
of track that we could handle it.  That would require building 6 of the PNLTC
modules and having skirts for the table (black sheet stapled to the front).
That would be our primary expense.

Just an update on the Tables...

I have been talking with a couple WAMALUG/WAMALTC folks and they have their own
standard for tables.  Their tables are 40.25" x 40.25" which is the same as 4
32x32 baseplates square.  This may be a better option because it uses a
standard 4x8 sheet of plywood more efficiently because you get 2 tables per
sheet instead of 1.  Then in order to get the 10'x10' layout we would need 8
tables.

Of course we can come up with our own standards too if we want.  One nice thing
about the PNLTC tables is that they work with either the 32x32 baseplates or
the larger 48x48 Baseplates but that is a minor benefit IMHO.

When I get a chance I will try and price some materials to see how much this
will cost us to get started.  Hopefully we can do this so by the time we have
done a couple of shows we will have recouped our costs.

FYI, WAMALTC has a picture of their layout on their site.

http://www.wamaltc.org/

Fairly huge but neat.  As long as we don't set up next to them we will be fine
:-).  Again I think our light will shine brightest in the animation and scenery
departments not in the train and track layout departments.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/