Re: Greenburg Show Dec 2nd & 3rd in Wilmington MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:12:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:

And the fiberoptic addition is a stellar idea.  With moving trans-orange
flames and flashing fiber, it would easily look just absolutely
incredible.  Doesn't one of the big UFO sets have orange fiber in it?

I think it's clear fiber but the light coming out is red.

Arrr, yeah, that's what I meant. :D

Clever mounting can
feed that light into the end of a trans orange flame for a great effect

Hmm.  Something on the box indicated to me that the fiber was scored or
"broken" somehow such that light flashed out of the fiber at even intervals
down the fiber (note here that I do know how fiber works, troubleshooting
fiberoptic telephone lines was part of my job until about 2-3 weeks ago).  I
thought perhaps coiling it up amongst the bases of the flames would at least
give the appearance of flickering flames by reflecting the light off of the
trans-orange flame elements, not conducting the light up the element per se.
Not having the fiber elements makes it kinda hard to judge how that would
really look, though.  Maybe I'll have to stop by TCS soon and pick this set up.

Umm.  Assuming that Shaun would like my research into that aspect.

Ok.  It's really just an excuse to buy the set.  I need help.

Note that "burning building" scenes are a sort of standard thing to do on
large
model railroads built for display.

Of course I haven't been to nearly as many displays as you have, Lar, but I had
noticed that was a common theme in the ones I had seen.

So when you pull this off (note the when
rather than if) you will instantly build recognition for your modeling prowess

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  :D  Maybe we should put Shaun's name on it.
Heh.

eric