Re: Greenburg Show Dec 2nd & 3rd in Wilmington MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:15:04 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

Actually, in that vein, I was thinking about something:  The best train layouts
I've seen have *action* occuring in them, not just trains running around.  With
the absolutely beautiful engines available to us, why not have a fire going on?
I'm sure someone (heck, I'll do it) could build a building in the process of
burning, and the firefighters could be, well, trying to put it out.

Ahh, now this got my heart a-pumpin'!!  While talking with Joe at the last meeting,
I had been describing my woes about how I have motors and wires and enough stuff to
make some very hip motorized devices, but never any inspiration.  Well, here it
is!  The mechanical engineer in me suddenly had a head full of the following:
Imagine the output from a single regular motor geared down, and then split.  One
shaft could have a whole series of cams on it that would makes flames rise and fall
inside a building - imagine the scene with lego trans-orange flames licking all
around the inside of every window in a building.  Another output could go to a
turntable on the roof, where a panicked resident is running in perpetual circles.
I can even envision a mechanism whereby someone inside the building comes to a
window and throws a suitcase out (saving his/her valuable) - the suitcase falls to
the ground, maybe behind a vehicle or some shrubbery or something, where it lands
on a conveyor belt that whisks it back inside and back up to the window just in
time for the person's next appearance at the window.  A whole show being enacted by
a single power source, elegantly assembled.  Maybe the whole mechanism can be
visible from one side of the building, sort of a "peek into the innards"?  I'll be
doing a "feasability study" this weekend [insert nerdy laugh here].

Ooh!  We can even throw in some fiber optics for flickering light!

Well, it looks like I am raising my hand and saying I'd like to do a burning
building.

So this is what people did before Mindstorms ... ;)

-s