Re: Greenburg Show Dec 2nd & 3rd in Wilmington MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:03:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:

And the fiberoptic addition is a stellar idea.  With moving trans-orange
flames and flashing fiber, it would easily look just absolutely
incredible.  Doesn't one of the big UFO sets have orange fiber in it?

I think it's clear fiber but the light coming out is red. Clever mounting can
feed that light into the end of a trans orange flame for a great effect

Also, consider this trick: Mount a standard LEGO light behind a pulley wheel or
gear wheel or even the trans orange propellor being driven by a small motor.
Now you have a source of light that flickers or changes color. Problem is that
it won't conduct well up a fiber, but if you use one of the 2x2 reflector
dishes from 5561 (for example) you can at least concentrate the light to shine
in the desired direction and put it on the inside of the building where it will
emit flashes of light etc.

Note that "burning building" scenes are a sort of standard thing to do on large
model railroads built for display. So when you pull this off (note the when
rather than if) you will instantly build recognition for your modeling prowess
among old time MR people who will be stunned that: a) you know that this is a
standard thing to do and did it, and b) that you managed to pull it off in this
medium, which has restrictions.

++Lar