Re: Greenburg Show Dec 2nd & 3rd in Wilmington MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:59:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:
<snip>
Hmm.  Something on the box indicated to me that the fiber was scored or
"broken" somehow such that light flashed out of the fiber at even intervals
down the fiber (note here that I do know how fiber works, troubleshooting
fiberoptic telephone lines was part of my job until about 2-3 weeks ago).  I
thought perhaps coiling it up amongst the bases of the flames would at least
give the appearance of flickering flames by reflecting the light off of the
trans-orange flame elements, not conducting the light up the element per se.
Not having the fiber elements makes it kinda hard to judge how that would
really look, though.  Maybe I'll have to stop by TCS soon and pick this set
up.

Well I have some LEGO Fiber and it does conduct well through Trans elements.
One thing I think would work is if you have Technic Beam then put 1/2 pegs in
the holes (the ones that create a stud) you can then insert the fiber in the
back end of the beam and then on the stud side of the peg it is hollow and I
believe the LEGO flames fit neatly inside that hole.  Then when you turn one
the fiber the whole flame glows.

I will have to try it out but I think that is one way to do it.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/