 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7087
Re: rtlToronto15: Pipe Racers-Feasibility?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 01:43:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:
This coming from an INDUSTRIAL engineer who knows NOTHING about
Thermodynamics :) C'mon Calum, you didn't even take the course!

Unfortunately I did.  I have the scars (45% final mark!) and the copy of
"Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, Third Edition by Michael J
Moran and Howard N Shapiro" to prove it.  I still have section 4.2.3, "Forms
of the Control Volume Energy Balance" bookmarked, especially equation 4.24,
the accounting balance for the energy of the control volume--the one the TA
swore was the only equation we needed for anything in that course.

The Class of 9T9 had the absolute delight of being the first industrial
class in history to be in the combined MIE faculty for second year, stuck
with 140 loud and stupid Mechs.  (Note: Rob, John and others are unusually
nice guys for Mechs)

We had the pleasure and privilege of being the first and only industrial
class to take MIE310 with Professor Charles A Ward-renamed MIE210, because
there was no assumed prerequesites.  It was simply put the worst course I
have ever taken.  (This includes MIE360S Systems Modelling and Simulation,
where the TA taught a computer based simulation package using chalk) We
basically were forced to take Thermo, EngAnalysis 1 and Materials Science,
primarily because they wanted to show the department was merged and there
was a common, although there was ABSOLUTELY no reason for us to learn any of
those things.

(I did however chat with a engineer at an auto parts manufacturer two years
later about the ductile strength of 6061 aluminum)

?? I guess I'm confused. I thought the whole point of intersections (Y or T)
was to have dead ends and wrong paths to mess up the robot. Like Dave
suggested, the proper path could be encoded in terms of stripes on the pipe
so the robot would be able to know which way to go. What you have shown in
the (very well drawn) sketch still looks like a single path to me. I guess
if the robot tried to drive along the microphone stand it could be
disasterous. I suppose thats the difficulty. I just think it would be cool
to have the branches off of the Y's made out of pipe too, so the robot could
get lost rather than fall of (assuming it can navigate the junction in the
first place).

Sure, we could do that.  I was taking advantage of these wrong paths to
mount microphone stands.  But if you put extra pipe on the end or tap it
right away with a stand, the result is the same-you can't recover.

Can it be done?  Should it be just 45 and 90 degs?

Anything is possible. I don't have a clear picure of how to do it in my mind
right now, but I'm sure I could come up with something. I'm all for
intersections! Just plain angles would be a boring battery box event.

I think we'll do it like this, as Steve suggests.  BrickFest will be 45's
and 90's.  rtl15 in September will have Y's and T's.

By the way, when do we dig in rice?

June 2003.

calum