 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7085
Re: rtlToronto15: Pipe Racers-Feasibility?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:06:02 GMT

I'd like to take a survey as to whether or not people think this is possible
(the Y joint).  Here's a scale from 1-5 in difficulty:

5: Project X
4: MIE310F Thermodynamics
3: Regime Change
2: Paypal in Canada
1: Duplo

This coming from an INDUSTRIAL engineer who knows NOTHING about
Thermodynamics :) C'mon Calum, you didn't even take the course!

To help you visualize, here's a mockup drawing of half of a typical
rtlToronto15 pipe maze--each robot has a symmetrical maze to traverse,
meeting in the center.  Note that in the lower right corner, an enemy Pipe
Racer is speeding along just before the midpoint:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/rtl15piperacers.jpg

?? I guess I'm confused. I thought the whole point of intersections (Y or T)
was to have dead ends and wrong paths to mess up the robot. Like Dave
suggested, the proper path could be encoded in terms of stripes on the pipe
so the robot would be able to know which way to go. What you have shown in
the (very well drawn) sketch still looks like a single path to me. I guess
if the robot tried to drive along the microphone stand it could be
disasterous. I suppose thats the difficulty. I just think it would be cool
to have the branches off of the Y's made out of pipe too, so the robot could
get lost rather than fall of (assuming it can navigate the junction in the
first place).

Can it be done?  Should it be just 45 and 90 degs?

Anything is possible. I don't have a clear picure of how to do it in my mind
right now, but I'm sure I could come up with something. I'm all for
intersections! Just plain angles would be a boring battery box event.
By the way, when do we dig in rice?

Rob