 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7055
Re: rtlToronto15: Pipe Racers-Feasibility?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:09:39 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

Hey folks,

One of the concerns I've heard about rtl15: Pipe Racers and it's predecessor
event at BrickFest 2003, is that it may be too difficult to traverse a Y joint.

I'd like to take a survey as to whether or not people think this is possible
(the Y joint).  Here's a scale from 1-5 in difficulty:

5: Project X
4: MIE310F Thermodynamics
3: Regime Change
2: Paypal in Canada
1: Duplo

This made me laugh my butt off!!!!  I'm flattered that you might think Project X is
much more difficult than Thermodynamic, and PayPay in Canada.  I will not speak
about #3 cause it makes me SICK!  (lets not go there)

Inspired by your fear of Y's I've put out a few phone calls to my various plastics
and plumbing suppliers, to see if a real T joint exists.  I'm sure I've seen them.
but to quote a friend, "Someone's memory is hard to argue with"

I'll keep you posted.

To help you visualize, here's a mockup drawing of half of a typical
rtlToronto15 pipe maze--each robot has a symmetrical maze to traverse,
meeting in the center.  Note that in the lower right corner, an enemy Pipe
Racer is speeding along just before the midpoint:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/rtl15piperacers.jpg

If you could get your hands on a real T joint, would the maze look more like a
"borg cube??"  this was my vision from the start.

Also note the heavy use of microphone stands to support on the Y segments.
The Y segments not only allow for ease of support, they also make the game a
programming and hardware challenge.

Can it be done?  Should it be just 45 and 90 degs?

I think it can be done.

Than again I've managed to enter EVERY contest since the inception of rtlToronto.
I guess that makes me a better robot designer then "others" who could not compete
in Project X, or bridge building, or king of the hill.

Calum if T's exist than would you think this game is easier?
I really liked the suggestion of labeling the correct path, allowing for a robot to
read a sign that says "turn left"  this way a battery box can not enter.
despite what Iain says about just 45's and 90's, all you have then is just a line.
any good battery box can navigate a straight path.

Chris