 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7061
Re: rtlToronto15: Pipe Racers-Feasibility?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:37:05 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
My first question: Do you want this to be a typical rtlToronto event, or
should it be made 'easier' for Brickfest?

Well, in terms of rtlToronto, this will be a hard event.  After Show Me the
Monkey and ProjectX, we've been doing a lot of "easy" events, we reran
Blockstacking, we tried bridgecrossing+CTF, we did the Last Bot Standing
game etc.  This one aims to be tough.

I don't think it needs to be easier for BrickFest.  I bet there are piles of
good robot builders out there who will be at or will make the trip to
BrickFest and rise to the challenge, just like up here in the Great White
North.  Plus, there will be other contests at BrickFest which may be more to
someone's liking if they don't like Pipe Racers.

An easy design would have 1 motor to drive forward/backward, a second motor
would turn the robot on the pipe (to line the 'opening part' with the bad Y)
and a motor to open the 'front', then another motor to open the 'back'.  For
that design, four motor outputs are required.

Yup.  That's what had envisioned too.  So now you're pulling probably four
motors, two RCXes, etc.  And it has to agile enough to work in 1 foot
segments of pipe.

Given that the whole Toronto group will not be attending Brickfest, my
suggestion would be to tone it down, and then run the full "Y" version at rtl15.

Okay, so, what you're proposing is we do Pipe Racers v1 with say, only 45
and 90's at BrickFest, and Pipe Racers v2 with Y's in Toronto?

Calum