 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7052
7051  |  7053
Subject:
rtlToronto15: Pipe Racers-Feasibility?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 04:44:01 GMT

Hey folks,

One of the concerns I've heard about rtl15: Pipe Racers and it's predecessor
event at BrickFest 2003, is that it may be too difficult to traverse a Y joint.

I'd like to take a survey as to whether or not people think this is possible
(the Y joint).  Here's a scale from 1-5 in difficulty:

5: Project X
4: MIE310F Thermodynamics
3: Regime Change
2: Paypal in Canada
1: Duplo

To help you visualize, here's a mockup drawing of half of a typical
rtlToronto15 pipe maze--each robot has a symmetrical maze to traverse,
meeting in the center.  Note that in the lower right corner, an enemy Pipe
Racer is speeding along just before the midpoint:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/rtl15piperacers.jpg

Also note the heavy use of microphone stands to support on the Y segments.
The Y segments not only allow for ease of support, they also make the game a
programming and hardware challenge.

Can it be done?  Should it be just 45 and 90 degs?

Calum