 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7054
Re: rtlToronto15: Pipe Racers-Feasibility?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:37:12 GMT

To help you visualize, here's a mockup drawing of half of a typical
rtlToronto15 pipe maze--each robot has a symmetrical maze to traverse,
meeting in the center.  Note that in the lower right corner, an enemy Pipe
Racer is speeding along just before the midpoint:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/rtl15piperacers.jpg

That is a really good drawing!  You have a real talent for sketching these
things.

Also note the heavy use of microphone stands to support on the Y segments.
The Y segments not only allow for ease of support, they also make the game a
programming and hardware challenge.

Can it be done?  Should it be just 45 and 90 degs?

I think for a first go, it should just be 45 or 90 degree corners.  I think
the problem is challenging enough as it is.

All this pipe stuff reminded me of this:

http://www.coasterglobe.com/features/history-pipeline/index.cfm

With the Y thing, does that mean that like, certain pipes are "Dead ends"?
The robots would start to need a *lot* of motors and sensors to pick up a
dead end, go back... and then remember which way was a "wrong" turn and
which way was a right one.  Wins would almost certainly come down to
randomness - whichever robot happened to not make a wrong turn.  By making
it one continuoous pipe, you make the difference between winner and loser
more focused - truly in a linear competition like that you have a clearly
defined winner because both robots are playing on the same feild without any
randomness introduced.

I think that's what I'm trying to say, anyway?  I'm not good at this stuff.

    Iain