 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2534
2533  |  2535
Subject:
(tentative) new Toronto lego robot contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 05:02:18 GMT

Today's lego contest was a great success and I want to thank everyone
who came out today.  You helped make it better.

Thank You.

As usual, after the games several people went out to our favorite hang
out and came up with a possible new game.  From the ease of how quickly
the new game developed I think we have a winner.   (translation Calum,
and I REALLY like it so this is what it will be)

some minor details still have to be worked out but the basics of the
game are thus:

-------------------------------------snip -----------------------------

Build a  4 "cell" X 4 "cell"  grid on a GREY lego base plate. each cell
size is 4x4 studs. the cell walls should be black. and about 1 stud
wide.

Build 8   3x3  white lego blocks each "block" is 2 bricks high.

At the beginning of the first event an 8 block  random dispersal pattern

will be established and hence forth be used for the rest of the day as
"the random pattern"

build a robot, using normal building techniques, and as many
rcx/cybermaster/scout/DDK as you like to move the 8 random blocks in the
16 cells to this pattern:

   *  0  0  *

    0  *  *  0

    0  *  *  0

    *  0  0  *

in this example the * are the blocks.

the robots with the fastest times win.   the only non lego element
allowed for in the specific contest is string/monofilament/ect

----------------------- end --------------------------

here are a few things that make this different from other games.

-we wanted to make a game that would require some kind of
gantry/cartesain (sp?) robots.

- (for this game only) we are less concerned about making it exciting
for the live audience.  we have 9 of these games under out belt. lets
have a game for "us" and not for the crowd.

- we will now allow cybermaster, scouts, DDK. and full use of A/C
adapters if you can use them.   (batteries are getting expensive)

- we wanted a game that would develop BOTH hardware and software
skills.   with a 16 cell grid and an RCX that does not do arrays with
variables then it can make for some fun software problem solving.  this
was  discussed:  do you 1. build a robot that solves the problem on the
go or 2. build a robot that gathers ALL the blocks then places them in
the pattern.

The last different thing is this game is B.Y.O.GB.  Bring your own game
board.  too many people have problems (myself included) with arriving on
site only to find the playfield is not perfect.  so for this game only,
the game board is "part of your robot"   so if it works in your basement
it should work in the library.   To this end we have to make sure
everyone can build the game board the same to be fair to all.

I think this covers it.   we still have to iron out a few details, like
cell wall thickens (1 or 2 studs) and colour of the blocks??

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm