 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2556
Re: (tentative) new Toronto lego robot contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 01:55:13 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

Then why restrict possible design alternatives?  If you're aiming to
"challenge our minds" then you shouldn't restrict people to one design
possibility-meaning, why restrict people to build a cartesian type robot • or
an arm robot only?  You've already discounted Iain's design of picking all
of the pieces up first if you state the spirit says a robot that has "the
smarts to 'see' a problem" since Iain's wouldn't see the problem at all if
it grabs ALL the pieces ahead of time.

No no, Chris said it would be okay for me to collect them into a 2by8 nest
off the main grid.

A tipper setup is just the same as collecting all the pieces up regardless
of position into a staging area on the side and redeploying them.  Why • limit
people to the solution YOU have come up with?  Maybe YOU should challenge
your mind and see that there are other solutions available!

I can't think of too many ways besides some sort of gantry to solve this
problem. I'd love to see totally out-of-the-box thinking.

At rtl9, I heard comments that Trevyn's end-cap rotating robot was a novel
solution unlike the five or six arm hanging like robots out there.  As was
Rob's pinwheel design.  Both were different, novel and solved the problem • in
a different way.  I wouldn't discount those options for rtl10.  Not • everyone
is going to build a cartesian Iain emulator, as cool as that is.

I always love competitions where you see such a wide range of solutions. It
was so great at 9 to see so many variants of robots. It was great to do a
competition that did not rely on AB steering. I have some reservations about
the next competition generating much differentiation between solutions. But
I am really excited to see how everyone will make a fast robot. There are
just so many ways to do that mechanically.

For me, I think the solution will be to remove as much mass from any moving
members as possible. I am going to try to isolate all drives from the axes
themselves to keep them operating so quickly. I cannot (to the best of my
knowledge) figure out how to do proper logic with regards to moving certain
blocks into certain positions, so I am going to take the easy road by having
the gantry load a nest off-board with the eight blocks. Then, remove the
blocks from the nest and re-place them on the board.

I doubt I will have the fastest solution time, but I would like to try to at
least have a nice, fast, lightweight gantry. So that is my game plan for
now.

Dave, if you build a delta robot that is the size of a fridge, I will cry.

Now, if only LEGO made a linear induction motor. :)

    Iain