 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2545
Re: (tentative) new Toronto lego robot contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:39:44 GMT

"Chris Magno" <cmagno@home.com> wrote in message

Well, after 24 hours and a bit of playing around.  I think it is safe to
say that the wall thickness will be 2 studs and the colour of the blocks
shall be white.

Great!

That leaves a lot of great room for griping the edges of the blocks with the
EOAT, and the fact that the plates are 2by will let us have the grid be
"even", fiting symetrically on the baseplate.

I'm waiting for final word but i think the cell walls will be made of
black plates.

Good idea, espically if the blocks are to be white. That permits those who
use a light sensor for positioning to discern between the playing feild,
block, and wall.

so the total grid will be 26  x 26 studs.

That is a good size.

Calum pointed out that if you invert your 3x3 "block" into a 4x4 cell
the studs "register" with each other and should prevent unwanted
slipping.

I tried playing around with it last night, and I found that the blocks
locate in a workspace that looks a bit like a diamond with curved sides the
same radii as the studs themselves. That allows for a maximum play of about
+/- 1.25 mm parallel to the block face. That's not too hard to compensate
for in the end of arm tool (I hope). It is a good design!

I realized in my post earlier that I just assumed I'd be permitted to have
blocks leave the matrix to queue them in a secondary grid beyond the
perimeter of the feild itself. Is that a safe assumption to make? Or is it
possible a rule might exist that would restrict blocks from leaving the 4by4
grid?

    Iain

* - End Of Arm Tool