 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2557
Re: (tentative) new Toronto lego robot contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 02:05:48 GMT

In one post Calum Rants:

Why is that a cheat?  I disagree.

then in a second post Calum drones on about:

Who was dissing this at the dinner just Saturday
night?

Look, Calum, I understand you had a hard day at work, I heard that the
subway system was screwy for a bit BUT that is no reason to go on and
on.

(smirk)

OK, all kidding aside.

When we design these games we try to focus on a "type" of solution.  for
R9 we (mainly me) would have liked to see different 2 arm monkey bots.
And look what happened.   Bruce, ME, Derek, YOU/Iain all and to some
extent Rob all had an under the bar "monkey" All the monkeys were
different (except for Bruce who copied my ideas)  and showed creative
designs and unique ways of solving the problem.   the problem was not
who can get to the last bar the quickest!!! the real goal was to build a
monkey.    that's why we did not want to see any cars driving on the
top.

As to this game.   the problem is not to make a pretty X pattern in a
grid.  the challenge  for me, ( and I hope others) is to come up with
different ways to process blocks and pattern logic.

upon reflection, you are correct.  A robot that can pick up the entire
game board and shake the blocks into a magazine then figure out how to
re orientate them back into the pattern; WOULD be cool to see. and
Hard.   I also think no one would do it.   BUT I still think the concept
is a cop out.

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm