 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10973
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto16 Preliminary Rules Released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:23:55 GMT

Rob Antonishen wrote:

A couple of suggestion on the proposed rules:

{"The rope will hang roughly 12" from the floor."}

I think this needs to be a more exact measurement...because of the reaching-up
aspect, the differerance between 11" and 13" could be the difference between
sucess or failure.

HUH!!!????

how much more exact do you need than 12"  ????

the only thing I can add, is that dead hung rope will have a tendency to curl.  I
think we can cover our buts and let people know that fully stretched the rope will
be 12" from the ground, BUT it just might curl higher.  you will have to deal with
it.

{"At 132" (11 feet) there will be a lower mark, using 1/2" black electrical
tape. 12" further along (12 feet) there will be an upper mark, again using black
tape."} ... {"The first robot with makes it above it's lower mark and is also
under it's upper mark will win that match."}¼

As Rob commented, the 1 foot spacing between the two tape strips is somewhat
limiting for several reasons.

* Assuming a straight rope feed, the robot will have to retract itself to under
  1' after extrending itself to over 1' (or rotate itself perpendicular to the
  rope) to be within the lines.

answered in another post

* Assuming a non linear rope path (rope wound around a pully, rope serpentined
  through pullys, spooling robot etc.) again, the bottom tape stripe is (as
  pointed out) meaningless.

pointless, the lower mark is more a way to force the entire robot up the rope.  the
lower mark is NOT as important as the upper mark.

* If a robot crosses the top strip is it disqualified?

NO.

I have proto-typed a few things and have some additional comments...

This sash cord is [not] easy to grip...It is very smooth so friction drives have
trouble and very tightly woven so lego based spurs don't seem to grab well.

welcome to rtlToronto.

Any idea on the end of the rope...taped or just cut?  The rope I am playing with
has demonstrated significant fraying and widening at the cut end after being
spindled, folded and mutilated.  This could significantly alter the competition
as the ropes are used through the day...

this is a slight concern. I am in discussion with my rope guru friends, and will be
looking into ways of whipping  the end with something so that it will prevent it
from fraying, AND will also not increase the size, or flexibility of the end.

maybe a dip in wax, OR using thread to whip the end.

Bruce, your a rope guy, any thoughts?

The rules do not state the robot has to be able to get back down, it just has to
get up.  Is this everyone's interpretation?

yep, just UP.

Chris