 Organizations / 403
Re: Discussion about UKLUG web site (was: Re: Leaving for a while or a long time)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:55:34 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GFp941.ID8@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.loc.uk, Phil Traviss writes:
IMHO, we should be actively discouraging existing and potential UK AFOLs
from using any other messaging systems than LUGNET.

I totally agree with this and would hold it up as a principle for more than
just the UK.

usage of Lugnet seems to drop off very sharply outside English speaking countries.
Are you going to tell the Germans and the French they must stop using their own discussion forums and start using Lugnet
instead, or should I?
:-)

Anyway. My main arguement is not about using an alternative discussion group, but not getting ourselves into having to
build and maintain the functionality of a custom web site.
Replicating the functionality of a Yahoo group - and adding a growing list of new features over time - is not a trivial
task.
It's not like this is a commercial organization who can justify an investment - its just a bunch of folks hanging out
together, and for every function I have seen requested, some form of ready made group (it doesnt have to be Yahoo) seems
perfectly adequate.

regards
lawrence