 Local / United Kingdom / 6792
Re: Discussion about UKLUG web site (was: Re: Leaving for a while or a long time)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:14:26 GMT

"Phil Traviss" <philt@castleton-comms.co.uk> wrote in message
IMHO, we should be actively discouraging existing and potential UK AFOLs
from using any other messaging systems than LUGNET. I for one don't really
want to have to go round checking them all (and getting into arguments about
which is best!). So in other words, the problem I perceive we are trying to
solve is summarised by "a welcome and information resource that does NOT
have message sharing capabilities". That's why I wrote that a yahoo list was
unsuitable - it does not meet those criteria.

Apart from that, I worry that yahoo will sell all the email addresses they
collect to the highest bidder and I will then get junk emails; a likelihood
I feel is much less with LUGNET.

Phil.

But messaging and chat is only ONE feature. You dont have to use it. We dont have to use it.

Also, you are forgetting that some of the requests for discussion groups that we asked lugnet to set up seem to have
fell on deaf ears.
So you are saying we can't set up our own, and can only use those provided by Lugnet for which we must be humblely
grateful ? And that is a Lugnet who sometimes act like the Lego thought Police in deciding what we can and cannot
discuss?

And as for selling our email addresses, it would not take long to collate all the ones in lugnet if someone was
interested in that group - they are all pretty visible, and lugnet dont allow aliases.

I, and many others, have already been spammed by folks getting my email from Lugnet and offering me Lego.

Whereas the Yahoo group can be closed and by invitiation only (in terms of registering your email - not stopping by the
site) , so is much more controlled membership than Lugnet where anyone can wander by and copy my email address without
even registering - its right there on the public web pages -or in newsgroups.

So you don't trust a large public company - with liabilities and shareholders,etc - but you happily trust a private
individual (lugnet) who you have never met, dont know from Adam, in a different country, with whom you would find it
very difficult to get any recourse if he did violate your trust and sell your email.

regards
lawrence