 Local / United Kingdom / 6801
Re: Discussion about UKLUG web site (was: Re: Leaving for a while or a long time)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 10:00:55 GMT

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Lawrence Wilkes (<GFp2Mp.1Gq@lugnet.com>) wrote at
13:56:49

Here's another reason for using something like Yahoo.
It is not really owned by any individual, or their responsibility (apart from
meeting Yahoo's T&C)
Nor is it dependent on said individual for development.

What I mean by this, is that everytime someone owns a baby like this, and then
decides to move on, we have to move it,
re-built it, perhaps start again.
What if the developer of the customer site is no longer available - who
maintains it? Which is what has happened every
time so far.
What if the host doesnt want UKAFOL on his site any more? Where do you move it
to?

Sorry, but I am a management consultant - so I tend to look at the management
issues, not the techie ones!

This is where a formal club would be of benefit. As an organisation, it
could own the website, and other paraphernalia, like display tables for
fests.

The downside is that it would need formal organisation & officers, which
is perhaps what most of us baulk at.

I don't think it would have to be an onerous task. A meeting once a year
would be the minimum requirement, and we do that anyway.

--
Tony Priestman

A techie who trusts Management about as far as they can walk & chew gum :-)