 Local / United Kingdom / 6763
Re: Discussion about UKLUG web site (was: Re: Leaving for a while or a long time)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:11:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, James Stacey writes:
As I see it we have the discussion threads here on Lugnet, moving to a Yahoo
list for the sake of it isn't a good idea

I agree

I see the spec for a UKLUG site running along these lines

News, Events Diary, links

its all stuff that can and will still be passed around here in .loc.uk but
its a centralised source of information, and a showcase for us here in the
UK to show the aussies how its done :)

Nice!

other secitons such as a UK Shop watch, competitions etc can be included if
the support is there.

The main problem with sites of this sort as many have seen is keeping them
fresh. This is why I'd look at doing the site using a database and have an
online admin system so lots of people can update it.

Excellent idea.

should I get a few concept designs for the site done?? at least to make a
start

I'm sure this would be the best way to generate feedback.

James

BTW I dont want to tread on anyones toes here. just want to help :)

As do we all I think.  The problem with the non-heirarchical structure
encouraged by the net is that no one leads and it can take a long time to
get a consensus.  I say go for it.  If there's anything anyone else can
assist with please post about it (or email)

Cheers

Psi