 Organizations / 404
Re: some "mild" discrepancies in roll call....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org, lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:14:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I noticed a few (Calum and Jeff) have put down that they put down their
regular attendace in Toronto events in the Legofests....
I don't think the broader toronto community is aware of "Legofest"
It is a once a year lego extravaganza (this year it it in Washington DC)
that a lot of people go to...there is a whole bunch of things happening...
like a historical set display, a mass train display, pirate gaming room,
and a Castleworld display / event....
just clarifying "Legofest Field"

Disagree. The DC event (the first one ever held was in DC last year, IIRC)
is "Brickfest". Legofest is a much broader term...

Definition of Legofest varies depending on who you ask but is surely broader
than your definition...

My personal one is that a Legofest is any time I meet another fan I haven't
met (or in a town other than my own) and spend at least 1 hour
talking/building/trading, or any time that 3 fans, none of which are me, get
together and say "hey, we are having a fest!"...

That is broader than most, admittedly, but allows me to claim that I have
been to more fests than just about anybody else. :-) And I do love to brag.

Back in the old days, before there were many LUGs or LTCs, I suspect most
people would say that *any* preorganized meeting of at least 6 fans or so
was a fest.

Nowadays that includes most club meetings, because we're all way more
organised than once before. But heck, I'd still call them fests anyway. Many
wouldn't, I suspect, though, saying a regular NELUG meeting for example is
no longer a fest since it's regular...

However fests still do happen. I was at one in the UK. It wasn't a club
meeting but it was a well publicised (within our circle) prearranged meeting
with well over a dozen attendees from all over the UK.

All that said, a fest is what YOU say it is when you're filling out your
entry, it's all in good fun. I give Calum (and others) a great deal in the
chops department for his staunch support of rtlToronto, which has blossomed
amazingly. (as have so many other groups, isn't it GREAT???)

Well done, everyone!

++Lar

(I copied lugnet.org because it's an interesting question... "what is a
fest?"... AND because I heard some rumor some of you guys were going for
post count or something. Gotta do that with QUALITY posts, so here I am. :-) )