 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1691
Re: some "mild" discrepancies in roll call....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:21:00 GMT

That was really interesting!
I read the entire post…and wanted more.
You’ve really got some history here.

And I thought that ‘I’ was cool cause I've been around at the birth of Lugnet.
Around the time Ed ‘boxers’ castle first came out. And I've been actively
postin’ for well over a year. I think I helped contribute is some small way
to our group. With the various roll calls and the veracious nagging about
why we don’t have a web page for rtlToronto (Long ago.) and the
conversations generated towards the naming of the group. And now with the
organization of a Brickwarz competition…

But WOW, you’ve been here since the beginning.
You created and established every thing…

Calum is the King.

              Sincerely,
                           --==Riçhärd==--

        You can reach me  @
Shroud_of_Kung_Fu@Hotmail.com

.                                                     -Lego good, Canada great-®

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
again thanks for clarifying things (I should have known better....almost
10 years in REC.Toys.Lego <in Calum's case>)

I think less.  I can't remember the first time I posted on rtl, but it was
like 94 or 95, because it was before first year of university.  I was
definetly reading alt.toys.lego on r-node.hub.org (which became IO.org,
Toronto/Canada's first ISP) a three line UUCP/BSD box run by a local guy out
of his apartment in Etobicoke.  If you'd believe it, the newsfeed would be
sucked down a 14.4 modem (fast in those days, you youngins) every few hours,
UUCP dialup on a crontab.  None of this newfangled live IP connection stuff
:)  I used to show people atl as an example of how powerful the Internet
could be-look, you can find a newsgroup on ANYTHING, even Lego!  There are
weirdos out there who play with Lego!  And they're adults!  :)  But the
first newsgroup I had ever read was alt.fan.jen-coolest  -a newsgroup
centered around a law student named Jen, who had her own fan club.  I had
accidentally subscribed to it and alt.toys.lego because I didn't know really
to get rn to work, and whoever had compiled it was thoroughly confused and
had it to newgroup every group on startup if you hadn't defined a .newsrc or
whatever.

By 95 I was full throttle into it, and they had voted into existance via RFV
the rec.toys.lego group, giving it more legitimacy on netnews.  I posted a
LOT, it was better than doing Statics problem sets.  It was weird back
then-all the names are almost gone.  The Earthsea server was one of the most
active locations for information, we had posters like Minx Kelly, Tony
Kilaras, Lou Zucaro.  Roll Calls were done every few months, I would always
worry about what to put as an email address because I was teetering on
enrollment at the University.  :)  It was a time before Lugnet, Larry,
thousand dollar eBay scalping auctions, LUG or LTCs of any sort-when Lego
Robotics meant hand soldering a MIT 6.270 board or a 6811 Mini or Handyboard
and wiring up 4.5V motors and scavenged Polaroid sensors, not going out to
buy a Mindstorms kit. (Historical note: I assembled together a Miniboard
2.11EXT, driven in Hexmon mode by an Amiga 2500/20 in spring of 95)

In fact, Lou Zucaro's Pause website was one of the first places to check for
new sets.  I spent DAYS reading pause.com on a SiliconGraphics Indy
workstation, 8 bit X dither on a Hitachi 19" monitor, no less.  It was
before ANYONE had broadband at home, so skipping first year engineering
classes to read up on new sets on the fast ECF connection was a pretty good
deal, in stunning SGI Netscape 2.0 style.  (Yeah Chris, I used Netscape back
then.  It was the only browser than ran nicely in IRIX, and while we could
use XMosaic, it was easier to use Netscape, because SGI had done stuff with
it to make it run extra fast, we thought.  In fact, until 1997, I had used
Netscape almost exclusively, plus AWeb II and other Amiga browsers)

Lugnet has really changed the game.  We've gone from random posts to full
blown community, international, and it's largely due to Todd's excellent and
tireless work.  But what I will miss was the crosspollenation of ideas-and
by this, I don't mean crossposting, which I can't stand. I NEVER read other
groups beyond the Canadian ones, it's just too large-yet back in rtl I'd
read about Castle and Pirates just because it was all lumped together.  Yet
you couldn't do rtlToronto without Lugnet and classification.  Oh well.

Anyways, I suppose that's all in the past.  It's unusual to think of that.
I used to be a very heavy poster on comp.sys.amiga.hardware too.  I went
around to check it out, and it's like, nothing ever changed.  People talking
about how to rewire 1.44MByte floppies into dualspeed 1.76MB Amiga
floppies-scandoubling RTG cards and stuff.  rtl is mostly dead now.

PS....hey Calum, If Chris ever charged a royalty for the "pyro guy" concept....
I think he'd be very rich, and you'd be quite poor  :)

Now if I charged for all the great ideas Chris uses from me...swarming...
I'd be rich! :)

Calum