 Organizations / 405
Re: some "mild" discrepancies in roll call....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:36:06 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
Lugnet has really changed the game.  We've gone from random posts to full
blown community, international, and it's largely due to Todd's excellent and
tireless work.  But what I will miss was the crosspollenation of ideas-and
by this, I don't mean crossposting, which I can't stand. I NEVER read other
groups beyond the Canadian ones, it's just too large-yet back in rtl I'd
read about Castle and Pirates just because it was all lumped together.  Yet
you couldn't do rtlToronto without Lugnet and classification.  Oh well.

I think we'll start seeing cross polination in the loc and org groups.
The good thing about the volume these days is that probably 905% of
North American AFOLs are within a 4 hour drive of enough people to at
least occaisionally have a fest (and in populated areas, there may be
several clubs within that radius or just a bit farther [D.C. for me is a
little more than 4hrs]). I expect that in the next year or two we'll see
a West Coast Brickfest emerge and a Canadian one would do well also.

Europe and Australia are doing well also, and probably most everyone in
western Europe is also within a 4ish hour drive of a club.

I think we'll also start to more see less formal smaller weekend events,
where someone hooks up with a Library, large home, or other facility,
with folks offering spare bedrooms to out of town guests. We're already
seeing some of this with train shows and a few other events.

It will be interesting to see how big we get, I think we've got a lot of
growing to do yet. We are just in the past few years really establishing
the legitimacy of the hobby and the more exposure we get, the more folks
who've got a set or two on the mantle that they just couldn't bear to
give away when they grew up, or who've ended up buying a set at the same
time they bought one for their kids.

FUT: lugnet.org

--
Frank Filz