 Off-Topic / Geek / 3887
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:02:27 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Geek warning: the following description is starting to get pretty geeky.
I've set follow-ups to lugnet.off-topic.geek, see you there if you want
to continue discussion...

I did some more investigating and figured out some useful stuff...

result probability  fraction
-3       0.14%       .0014
-2       2.28%       .0228
-1      15.88%       .1588
0      50.00%       .5000
+1      84.13%       .8413
+2      97.72%       .9772
+3      99.86%       .9986

Excel has a useful function NORMDIST, you can generate the above table
using:

=NORMDIST(A1,0,1,TRUE)

Excel generates slightly different values:

-3  .0013
-2  .0228
-1  .1587
0  .5000
+1  .8413
+2  .9772
+3  .9987

So, the table used in the game looks like this (we can see that +-20 is
very close to 3 standard deviations, I've included a few numbers past
the 3 standard deviation mark, my chart is complete from -40 to +40):

Playing with Excel gets almost exactly the same chart (3 out of the 40
values on the "plus" side were different in the last digit relevant to
the chart) using a standard deviation of 20/3. Clearly the differences
are due to rounding differences between Excel's calculations, and
whatever my friend used. The cool thing with Excel of course is that a
few minutes will set you up a chart which you can use to instantly see a
new chart for a different standard deviation.

Frank