 Gaming / 1118
Re: RPG or PBM? (Was: Elements of a brick oriented RPG)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 23:27:57 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Mike Rayhawk writes:
Sort of like if you made one of
those real-time strategy games (starcraft, age of empires, etc.) into an
RPG: players would have to go out and secure sources of bricks, harvest
them, bring them back to wherever they wanted to build stuff, and begin the
process of construction.  Players could be required to construct devices and
vehicles, as well as hire minifig workers and technicians, to help perform
any of these tasks, especially as their constructions became larger and more
complex.

This concept is in fact an integral part of my own current project.  I have
been designing rules for a Castle-specific PBB wargame in conjunction with
building a display that is built both with the rules in mind and with the
intent of just being a nifty display.  No, this is not an RPG.

What would make the system interesting is how you limited the types of
constructions players could build; you could try to relate it to the real
world (players have to harvest forests to get timber and do some quarrying
to get stones), or you could go full-on Lego and just say that each color of
brick is available in certain places and carries specific advantages and
disadvantages.  Basic bricks in small quantities would be easily obtainable,
just lying around or available at the local shops.  More unique bricks,
bricks with special powers, or unusually large quantities of brick would be
harder to come by, and would require the completion of quests of varying
difficulty.

This is an interesting possibility.  My current plan allows each player to
begin with one "settlement" which inherently provides certain resource points
(represented by bricks) per turn.  Additional points can be gathered in the
field (forests, rivers, quarries, etc).  Points of different types must be
saved to build siege engines, field soldiers, and can even be saved for adding
walls of stone or wood (or dragons & undead).  So far, however, I plan to run
things slightly simplified compared to what you suggest.  Rather than have
minifigs cart bricks back and forth (as in AOE), simply having a unit in a
resource giving area will provide extra points each turn.  I am planning to run
game sessions with friends who are Lego friendly gamers, but not true AFOLs, so
I had to simplify that aspect.

You might possibly consider making some types of brick 'expendable,' so that
(for instance) minifigs have to have a certain amount of yellow bricks to
eat or they'll starve, or automobiles have to have trans-yellow bricks for
fuel.  This would limit players in the number of minifigs they could sustain
at any one time, according to how much of their land they dedicated to
growing food or how much of their money they dedicated to buying it.

That is also factored into my notes so far.  The game will focus on siege
warfare.  Minifigs cost food points (yellow 1X1s as you hinted at) and water
points (blue 1X1s) to keep in play.  They cost less if they remain in the home
settlement, so naturally a faction will need more food saved up to send an army
out for a prolonged siege.  Likewise, how long a defender can hold out depends
on his food and water savings (since a walled settlement will get no food
income if its gates are closed!).

Again, this won't be an RPG, rather a wargame that uses Lego elements
exclusively for its representation.  I only mentioned it in this thread because
your comments sounded very much like what I have been working on.  Uncanny how
some AFOLs think alike!   <grin>  ...I will post more both in this group and in
.castle once I have finalized the rules and snapped photos of the display...

Cheers,
-Hendo