 Off-Topic / Geek / 3766
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 01:26:30 GMT

In article <3CFD1621.A7B42E9A@mindspring.com>,
Frank Filz  <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
This sounds to me like a scenario which isn't designed correctly for the
tone of the campaign the GM wants to run. I also question the bit: "but
you do have to be flexible to get the story where it needs to go." To me
that sounds like you're forcing the story in a particular direction.
Why?

Because I'd like my players to be happy. I could instead, decide about how
long it takes for a saboteur to blow up the ship, and then after
fifteen minutes of game time have passed, say, "The walls of the ship
glow white-hot and then you don't see anything else.  Ever.

If I lived through that, I wouldn't get many people in my next game.

Some thoughts on how to better set up this scenario:

Take a few months and think of everything you can. A half hour into the
game one of the players is going to think of something you didn't-- that's
what they do. You _have to be flexible_. You may have to fudge things.
"Uh... that doesn't work" only covers it so long. And the doubly annoying
thing is I don't have months to set up a game...

I'm all for stupidity being terminal. I'm not so big on letting people be
dead because they bit on my red herring.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
jd@forinash.not                                  ( <