 Gaming / 1113
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 20:45:35 GMT

Hi Frank and all,

I just got around to reading this thread and it seems that you've already
decided to bag the idea, but I wanted to make some comments.

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
I've been thinking about combining my hobbies of The Brick and Role
Playing. The question is what is the best way to go about it. Some
questions I've been asking myself:

1. Do I go with an existing RPG and just use LEGO bricks to build sets?

I think this is the heaviest question here.  Everything else stems from how
this is answered.  As you know from our previous conversation, I favor a new
system designed to capture The Brick as a fundamental underlying determinant.
I'll be using this standpoint in commenting below.

3. Do I use a rules light system, or a heavy system, or something in
between?

I would think that the system should be as light as possible with complexity
added only to assure the brickyness.  In the rules kernal that I'm playing with
for a LEGO-RPG, there is some complexity to be learned out of the gate in the
function of the stats because I'm representing the stats with bricks.  In
general, I want to keep in mind that LEGO is a toy and the system should be
too.

4. Do I use a canned setting, or build my own setting which is keyed to
a LEGO theme?

I'm thinking of keying the setting to System rather than a theme.

6. If I don't go with an existing game, do I build from scratch, or do I
start with an existing game, and adapt it?

Even if you build a new system, you'll be ripping off the mechanics that you
like in other systems, so how does this matter?

7. What is the intention of the game? A game for one off con events? An
alternative RPG to give a break from something else? A long term
campaign as a primary game?

I only play RPGs with campaign as the intention.

I'd like to base the game heavily in an existing rules set to make it
easier to recruit players (this makes me wonder if I should look at D20,
though long ago I got tired of many of the elements of D&D).

If recruiting players is actually a problem for you, then this may be a valid
concern.  Were I you, I'd just get in a couple of weekly games -- occasionally
rotating into new ones, and find players that you like.  Then just subvert the
group you most like and call the players from the other groups that you liked
into your new game.  You don't want to play with a bunch of sissies who won't
try something new anyway.  :-)

A brick based RPG clearly calls for a moderately detailed combat system
which is tactical in nature

Huh?  How so?  I'd say that "a brick based RPG" calls for construction as some
kind of uber-theme.  Most RPG groups are engaged in breaking stuff.  It's much
more of a challenge to play a good game in which the players build!  But I
don't see how the combat system has anything to do with the brick.  Just go
with the level of complexity that you (and your group) prefer.

I had been thinking of trying to use LEGO pieces to build the character
sheet, but I think that wouldn't really work out (you'd be constantly
looking at the rules to determine just what skills you had).

I'm not convinced...but you might consider my use of white tiles and a black
marker cheating.  :-)

It might be interesting to produce printed tiles for all the equipment
used in the game. Then you can just stick the tiles onto a plate and
have an easy record of your equipment, and encumbrance could even be
based on the space taken on a plate by all your equipment.

I've been thinking exactly the same stuff.  Funny, that.

Things like
arrows could be represented by bricks where different colors represent
different quantities (though don't use too many colors). An alternative
would be to just assume the quiver is the main encumbrance, and just
keep track of the arrows separately.

Or just don't keep track.  I've never seen a LEGO quiver run dry.  I believe it
is fundamentally impossible.

Of course treasure would be represented using LEGO treasure.

Silver Duplo 2x4...Cha-ching!

Even before thinking about a brick oriented RPG, I've actually had
thoughts about setting up a campaign world where most folks only wear
leather or similar light armors.

You know, across the vast history of combat, most people didn't have any armor
at all.  I think the setting that I have most enjoyed playing in is a
prehistoric Mekong with weak magic.  There is no real accumulation of wealth,
no armor, no steel, and almost no monsters (unless you count elephants, rhinos,
crocodiles, bears, etc.).  Playing has been challenging but rewarding.  I'm
only pointing this out to demonstrate that you can come up with very
interesting settings based on simple principals.  And overall, I think armor
has plenty of drawbacks...try sneaking through the jungle in chainmail.

but maybe the Dragon Masters and Black Knights are
declared to not be a faction,

Remember Brasso as an option too.  There are too many decorated shields in my
collection.

I would make the campaign mostly human centric, but some non-humans are
clearly useable.

I prefer human-only games for the most part.  We have plenty of racial tension
in the real world without needing half-orcs to pick on.

There were several notes on constructing setting elements.  I've been toying
with a terrain system that uses 4x4 plates offset so that they are
schematically hexagons (they border six other plates).  You can assemble
modules of terrain (with varying elevations) based on these units (which are
each flat).

Building a town to base the game around is a good idea so that your buldings
get reused.  Occasionally building other stuff for the game, would be for me a
great excuse to build more.  I'm not sure how up for building huge modular
dungeons I'd be for a campaign game, but such a thing would be great for a con
where it can be run several times, getting maximum use of the props.

some thoughts,

Chris