 Gaming / 1105
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:19:16 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Brown writes:
Oops - one snip too many, James is the single >

On the other hand, games like D&D have way too many creatures. You
really shouldn't need more than a handful or two of humanoid type races,
and a handful of creatures would work fine (I never used very many
different creatures in Rune Quest for example).

I agree.  Look at folklore, which typically only has a handful of
"thingies", or Tolkien, who had 3 classes of "thing": Orcs, Trolls (read:
big orcs), and Dark Things From Before (Balrogs, Shelobs and Watchers, oh my).

...and Wargs, and Dragons, and Ents, and Hobbits, and Spiders, and Giants,
and Elves, and Dwarves, and Really Big Eagles, and Sauron's Genetic
Engineering Lab and...

But the point is taken.  You don't need every mythological creature from
every culture included.  :-)

I should look at it too, but I have a strong bias from experience that AD&D,
is a system that gamers use before graduating to real systems and real games. :)

GURPs.

In the games I've played, Elves tend to be slighter, faster, weaker, but
more agile. No magic preferences implied. Just a thought...

That's perhaps common also, but elves seem to fit mostly within the
human norm range, and often just seem to be a way to get a head start on
a character who is going to be slighter, faster, weaker, and more agile.
I don't like rules systems which encourage mini-maxing (or worse, make
one feel really stupid if one doesn't mini-max).

Hero (Champions).  Last Bastion of Mini-Maxers!  But at least with that,
there is nothing inherent in making an elf because he is automatically
superior at doing something.

I tend (when I use them) to use elves as they appear in folklore; sometimes
capricious, sometimes deadly, but always NPCs.

Andersonian elfs, rather than Tolkienian elves.  :-)

Bruce