 Gaming / 1109
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 22:13:35 GMT

Mike Rayhawk wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I just don't see what it adds to the gaming experience.

This is probably the single most important consideration...

I'm coming to the conclusion "LEGOizing" a game system won't be
worthwhile.

Trying to make Lego character sheets (just as a random example) seems to me
to be a step in the wrong direction, since it makes things unnecessarily
complicated and doesn't particularly add anything.  You could use stacks of
1x1's to keep track of values that change a lot, like hit points or mana
points.  You'd have to design the system so that those attributes topped out
at no more than a dozen 1x1's or so, because at a certain point it's a pain
to deal with really tall stacks of 1x1's and it would be easier just to have
stuck with paper in the first place.

I'm not thinking of stacks, but two dimensional arrays laid out on a
plate. I have been trending to using arrays of mark off boxes on
character sheets with the sheet in a plastic protector so you can mark
off with a grease pencil or non-permanent marker. If you keep the number
of points to 30 or less, this won't be too bad.

First of all, it's really cool to build all the environments out of Lego.
There are two basic problems.  First, there will always be a couple of
mission-specific locations you'll have to build in great detail.  No matter
how disciplined yuo are as a GM, if your players don't want to go to the
specific locations you have built, you will bend yourself into a pretzel in
order to force them to go there, because you don't want your excellent work
to go to waste.

Well, the key is to make the detailed locations key to the adventure. It
is also key to adventure design I think that thinks logically lead to
the key locations because a game could be boring if the players were
always heading off in an unexpected direction. PLayers do tend to be
pretty good about realizing that while their first character reaction
may be to bypass the adventure, that isn't the purpose of the game.
Don't count too heavily on this though as it will make for shallow
characters as the players ignore their character design more and more
(on the other hand, one thing I have struggled is how to communicate to
players that they must design characters who are suitable for the
campaign, if the game is going to be all about crawling around in
dungeons, don't build a character who can't operate underground - I also
steer players away from strong pacifists, and people totally unmotivated
by treasure since sometimes you just need a simple hack and slay and
grab treasure adventure to keep the pace moving [and to satisfy players
who want some of that]).

Second, there will often be a lot of 'generic' locations (houses, forest,
deserts, etc.)  These are good for something like a wargame but for a
full-fledged RPG they get really lame really fast, especially if you have to
reuse them more than once or twice.

I make a lot of re-use of preprinted play maps and never really felt
they made things lame. Several various outdoor pieces would take care of
needs for things like campsites, and with LEGO these can easily be
modified (the trees needn't be in the same place all the time for
example). I don't think generic buildings would really be that bad
either. If you build your houses on modular bases, they can be arranged
to a variety of layouts for towns and villages.

Maybe not too helpful, but those are my two bits for today.

In the end, I'm thinking I may drop the idea. As I was unpacking and
organizing my gaming materials, I was just reminded of all the printed
play maps I have, and how nice they are, and realizing they won't really
be compatible with LEGO (since LEGO bricks don't match inch large
squares on hexes very well).

There's also the problem of the building effort to be ready for play.

Frank