 Gaming / 1095
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 00:41:52 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
I've been thinking about combining my hobbies of The Brick and Role
Playing. The question is what is the best way to go about it. Some
questions I've been asking myself:

Interesting questions...   ...and right up my alley too....  =)

1. Do I go with an existing RPG and just use LEGO bricks to build sets?

Depends on how detailed you want the role-playing to be, and whether you want
to design a game to accomodate that detail.  *Time for a shameless plug
(surprisingly the first plug for this I've ever posted here):  I designed my
own RPG game system , Multi-Tech, based on my world which includes settings of
Castle, Town, Maritime (Pirates), and Space all at once.  Lego mini-figs
inherently work well to support the game.  More info can be found at
http://www.valyance.com/v1.0/ .  Shameless solicitation ends.*

2. Do I use LEGO minifigs, or do I use standard metal miniatures?

I prefer Lego minifigs even when running games that don't normally use them (as
in my current bi-weekly D&D campaign).  Unlike metal minis, Lego minifigs can
have clothing, weapons, armor, and equipment assembled to match what the
character supposedly has.  You can even get the hair color right.  The only
problem is the scale is different, so rules-lawyers might not take to them as
easily.

3. Do I use a rules light system, or a heavy system, or something in
between?

See my answer to #1.  Light rules are nice for getting into the game quickly,
and in general what I prefer.  Heavy rules add a great amount of detail (some
argue realism) but are best only if you and your players can stand it.  If
your big question is simply, which works best with Lego, my suggestion is: pick
a game first, then adapt Lego to it.  The great thing about Lego is you can do
so many things with it, so it lends to easy adaptation.

4. Do I use a canned setting, or build my own setting which is keyed to
a LEGO theme?

I always prefer a setting of my own, but that's just me.  The creation of the
setting is another outlet for creativity.  Using your own Lego MOCs to inspire
the setting is always fun.  But such can be labor intensive, so it really
depends on your time and skill in designing a believable setting.

5. If I key the setting to a LEGO theme, do I try and maintain purity,
or do I just use the theme as a starting point?

Depends on the system you choose, I guess.  Certainly some systems more or less
stay in one place.  Others, such as GURPS or Multi-Tech allow for all sorts of
different themes to cross over.

6. If I don't go with an existing game, do I build from scratch, or do I
start with an existing game, and adapt it?

As long as you have some experience to know what might work, what will work,
and what would never work in an RPG, I say go ahead and build it from scratch.
Again, this assumes you have time and will.

7. What is the intention of the game? A game for one off con events? An
alternative RPG to give a break from something else? A long term
campaign as a primary game?

You tell us.  What is it *you* want to do?  I designed Mutli-Tech as just a
break from something else, but friends encouraged me to bring it to a few local
cons and it was widely enjoyed.  Beyond that, as I implied, I would use Lego
mini-figs whether it was short or long term.

<major snippage>

The rest of your post is a clear hint that you are already on your way to
developing your own game here.  I think it sounds cool so far.  One thing I
would add though, in my experience using Lego during RPGs works well, but I
always run my games with an extra share of humor.  Lego, especially mini-figs,
certainly implies a degree of playful silliness.  Always keep that in mind.
Don't make your game ultra-serious, and it should work great!

Cheers,
-Hendo