 Gaming / 1104
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 00:44:02 GMT

As a long time gamer I thought I would make a few
suggestions

--- Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
I've been thinking about combining my hobbies of The
Brick and Role
Playing. The question is what is the best way to go about
it. Some
questions I've been asking myself:

1. Do I go with an existing RPG and just use LEGO bricks
to build sets?

If you plan to play locally with friends, i recommend us
3rd edition D&D.   If you want quicker and easier for
convention play,  I suggest using brik war rules for the
combat and making some basic rules for character classes
and skills

2. Do I use LEGO minifigs, or do I use standard metal
miniatures?

Lego minifigs are of course larger than standard metal
figs, but far less costly because every AFOL has dozens of
minifigs and the possiblities of color, weapon and
equipment combonations are endless.

3. Do I use a rules light system, or a heavy system, or
something in
between?

As i said mentioned in question 1,  heavy rules if u want
to game with friends locally, light to medium for
convention play.

4. Do I use a canned setting, or build my own setting
which is keyed to
a LEGO theme?

For local game doesn't matter much, for convention play i
would suggest having planned modules, possibly
incorparating one or all the lego castle themes

5. If I key the setting to a LEGO theme, do I try and
maintain purity,
or do I just use the theme as a starting point?

Use the theme as a starting point then expand from there.

6. If I don't go with an existing game, do I build from
scratch, or do I
start with an existing game, and adapt it?

Use modified brikwarz or castle war rules for combat and as
a basis for magic rules and expand on the standard classes
and skills and abilities

7. What is the intention of the game? A game for one off
con events? An
alternative RPG to give a break from something else? A
long term
campaign as a primary game?

Already answered above i think

I'm very strongly thinking that I want to use LEGO
elements for scenery
and miniatures. This will limit the inhabitants of the
setting to those
easily representable by LEGO elements. A reasonable
number of creatures
exist, and many more can be built from bricks, so a wide
range of
settings should be possible. I'm mostly leaning to a
fantasy setting
since I find that is what I enjoy gaming the most.
Science Fiction also
works well and could be fun with LEGO.

I would stay with fantasy first and see how it goes then
convert rules for a SF setting

There is some consideration of a Pirate themed game to
interact with
Evil Stevie's Pirate Game.

I've been looking at FUDGE, http://www.fudgerpg.com for
one possibility
of a game basis. My gut feel is that I want a game of
modest complexity.
It should be skill based, and have enough detail in the
skills to allow
for interesting characters. I would like to be able to
run a moderately
long term campaign, but probably won't play too often, so
character
development should be granular so something can improve
at least every
few sessions, if not more often. On the flip side, there
has to be
enough depth that a years worth of gaming doesn't result
in unplayable
characters.

I'd like to base the game heavily in an existing rules
set to make it
easier to recruit players (this makes me wonder if I
should look at D20,
though long ago I got tired of many of the elements of
D&D).

I would take a look at 3rd edition D&D.  It is an easy to
use and comprehensive rule base and allows for great
varitions.

A brick based RPG clearly calls for a moderately detailed
combat system
which is tactical in nature (this would probably
eliminate Everway for
example [of course Everway's character generation system
wouldn't
interact with LEGO too well either I don't think]). On
the other hand,
the toyness of bricks suggest that the system should not
be too serious
or too detailed.

Rules for convention play or less complex local rules would
be necessary.  As i said a modification of existing lego
war rules could be used. the scale and weapon damages are
established, only character creation would have to be
different

I had been thinking of trying to use LEGO pieces to build
the character
sheet, but I think that wouldn't really work out (you'd
be constantly
looking at the rules to determine just what skills you
had). On the
other hand, keeping track of things like hit points and
spell points
screams out for use of bricks (for wounds, you can even
use different
colors for different meanings [red=wounds, blue=stun,
green=poison]).
Depending on the system, either a large plate or a
baseplate could be
used (20-30 hit points would fit on a 6x6 plate, magic
users could use a
6x10 plate to have room for their spell points (even
larger if they have
things like crystals which store spell points, or
familiars which have
their own).

It might be interesting to produce printed tiles for all
the equipment
used in the game. Then you can just stick the tiles onto
a plate and
have an easy record of your equipment, and encumbrance
could even be
based on the space taken on a plate by all your
equipment. Things like
arrows could be represented by bricks where different
colors represent
different quantities (though don't use too many colors).
An alternative
would be to just assume the quiver is the main
encumbrance, and just
keep track of the arrows separately.

Workable ideas.  Players could each have a small plastic
box like one of the gladware disposable food storage boxes
to keep everything there character carrys.  Weapons,
treasurs and equipment would be in the box and if the
character is using it they just put it on there fig.  I
still think u would need a little pencil and paper to keep
track of things if you go with moderate to heavy rules but
I think it would be possible to go paperless with light
rules

Of course treasure would be represented using LEGO
treasure. Assume the
values of gold coins are the number of silver pieces. Use
grey 1x1 round
plates to count silver pieces. You could make a little
compartment for
small treasure on the hit point card. The compartment
should have a
firmly closing lid (attaches by a few studs for example).

Character's minifigs should try to be representative of
what the
character wears, but need not be absolute. Perhaps the
system should
encourage modest or light armor so not everyone is
wearing a helmet. A
fair range of armor is certainly representable given the
variety of
armor pieces, and torso printings.

Inumerable configurations would of course be the highlight
of the game, and it would very cool when u whip out the
villian to be representive of how he or she looks

Even before thinking about a brick oriented RPG, I've
actually had
thoughts about setting up a campaign world where most
folks only wear
leather or similar light armors. The game system for such
a campaign
should then balance the effects of armor with the
benefits of mobility
for lightly armored folks. The common LEGO weapons, broad
sword,
cutlass, hatchet, and spear all work well with light
armor. The heavier
weapons, katana, lance, battle axe, and bastard sword
would then be
restricted to knights and nobility. Making the world
metal poor might be
interesting. Then the silveryness of the bastard sword
might be easily
justified by implying that the only way to get such a
large weapon is by
magic. Of course the silver breast plate would represent
magical armor
which is much lighter. Of course implying magic by a
silver weapon means
that no one has a common dagger, but perhaps you just
assume everyone
has a common dagger, and silver daggers are the most
common magic weapon
(of course the large number of silver daggers suggests
playing in
Katherine Kerr's world...). Of course a number of
constructed weapons
can be made and need to be dealt with (has anyone put
together a nice
catalog of them?).

Individual game master's decision.  On the whole not a bad
idea and should be fairly workable

I haven't thought as much about non-Fantasy genres, but
the whole
weapons issue is a whole lot easier there. You don't need
anything more
than what's available for Pirate, Wild West, and other
similar
historical genres. There's plenty of good space weapons
ideas to fulfill
anyone's needs there.

One question is how the standard LEGO factions play into
the game. I
think I would build a campaign world to suit. I would
probably try and
make most of the factions available to the PCs, but I
would probably ask
the players to decide as a group which set of compatible
factions they
would play (though it might be possible to play a
character from an
incompatible faction in certain circumstances). Generally
PCs aren't
usually connected too tightly to the government though,
so probably
there wouldn't be much of a problem (so perhaps the one
or two
soldier/knight/noble characters come from a faction, and
every one else
uses a generic factionless figure). Of course shields
present somewhat
of a problem, but maybe the Dragon Masters and Black
Knights are
declared to not be a faction, and perhaps the dragon is
the symbol of
the adventurers guild or something.

I would make the campaign mostly human centric, but some
non-humans are
clearly useable. I don't usually do elves in my FRPGs
because they
generally are just set up as humans which are better at
magic. Some of
the possible races (not all would be available for PCs):

- human
- dwarf (use stubby legs)
- wookies
- ewoks (well, maybe not - though I'm not personally
offended by them)
- goblins
- cat people (Fabuland head)
- rat people (Fabuland head)
- wolfman (new head or Fabuland)
- Stingrays
- Bulls
- undead (skeletons, mummies, Darth Vader heads)
- lizard men (Fabuland head)

I think I would be inclined to restrict PCs to human,
dwarf, goblin, and
perhaps cat people (the Fabuland cat head is just to nice
[almost cute,
but not absurdly so, and hey, I'm a sucker for cats]).
I'd probably
allow rat people also (I've used rat people in some of my
FRPGs as a
race which lives in the undercity, too bad the Fabuland
head looks a
little to goofy for such a shadowy racial concept.

I think I would set up the campaign to be strongly
centered on a modest
town for which the important buildings and their
neighborhoods could be
constructed as permanent sets. I've got some ideas on
modular dungeon
pieces which would make it easy to set up dungeons for
exploration (the
ease of this compared to building wild expanses of
wilderness suggest a
return to the dungeon oriented campaigns, but with care,
plenty of
outdoors can be done also).

Individual game master choices.  A lot of work for the game
master to build and construct dungeons and ruins,  but you
can but the players to work on the non-essantial buildings
like the town and of course when the PCs earn enough to
build a keep, they really get to build it.  Players can
help with non-specific things like the modular dungeon
tiles for mass production, then the GM can modify them as
needed for the encounter.

I welcome additional thoughts and ideas.

Your ideas sound like a lot of fun!  If You need help,
please LMK!  I have seen or played at least 3 dozen
different game systems and would be happy to help with more
ideas.  I plan on being at brickfest so you would have at
least one player to try rules on.

FUT: lugnet.fun.gaming

Frank

Joel  (Building and equipping his ninja now!)