 Gaming / 1112
Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 22:01:28 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
I'm coming to the conclusion "LEGOizing" a game system won't be
worthwhile.

Rather than trying to "lego-ize" a game system, I would say just  pick
whatever game you and your friends want to play and use lego to augment it.

My friends and I have been doing this for years.  The first time was a 2nd
edition AD&D campaign that my roommate decided to start.  The first session
everyone pretty much just made characters and played through the
introduction, where we all figured out how we knew one another and got
underway on our grand quest.  There was lego all over the living room at the
time.  The next day, I started rooting through my box of minifigs and in
about an hour I had made the entire party, which was more impressive feat
than it sounds.

We were allowed extra latitude in determining our race and class, using th
standard PHB races, the Complete Book of Humanoids, and AD&D-ized Tall Tales
of the Wee Folk.  The party consisted of a half-orc magic-user/thief, a
human fighter, a human ranger, a sidhe bard, and an aarakocra cleric.  The
aarakocra was an orphan raised by the village priest, and so was a cleric of
the local agriculture goddess.  So in addition to having to make a winged
bird-man (which was a bit silly loking, admittedly, but everyone really
loved it), I had to make him a grain flail for his weapon.  (Pictures will
be posted to my brickshelf account monday or tuesday -- after 3 years I
still haven't had the heart to disassemble the party.)

I presented the ensemble to the group, and it all went from there.  The
monsters and terrain were all improvised.  Books became town buildings,
ghosts stood in for bugbears, etc.  My DM gave me 150xp for the whole thing
(we were all still 1st level).  But it started a pretty much unabated tradition.

The lego came out again when we started our Torg campaign.  The multi-genre
bit was, of course, perfectly suited for lego miniatures.  We've been
playing a 3rd edition campaign since the new PHB came out, and everyone took
special care in designing their mini-figures.  I built my character first in
lego, and then filled in the rest of the details.

Most of the miniatures we use are lego, but we're by no means purists about
it.  From time to time we've fought war planets toys, small stuffed animals,
and Mage Knight miniatures.  We use a mixture of lego and wargame terrain,
and don't fret too much over exact scale (we approximate distance with a
16x32 baseplate, where 1 stud = 1 foot).

We have developed our own little traditions too.  Elves are always generic
smiley heads.  Space Elves (from spell jammer's elven imperial navy) wear
the uniforms of the pirate theme's imperial armada.  Invisiblility is
represented by removing a figure's helmet.  A wall of fog is represented by
tissue paper.  Flying characters are set atop the nearest soda can... you
get the idea.  For special sessions, our DM will construct the entre scene
out of lego and keep it under a blanket until we get tht far, but the
hardwood floor at his house makes it possible to leave large, but still
usable, gaps in the constructed scenery.  But the giant lego set-up
certainly added to our climactic battle with the evil necromancer and his
horde of skeletons and shadowy knight-things.

So, basically, I suggest just gaming as usual and using as much lego as you
want in whatever way works for your game.

-William