 Off-Topic / Geek / 3765
Re: twisted map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 18:46:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  I deal with the history of cartography, specifically the history of
  geodesy in Africa (arc of the 30th Meridian).

I want to jump in here and mention my favorite projection; when I first saw the
Peters map, it blew my mind.

Check it out: http://www.petersmap.com/page2.html

As a high schooler, it really opened my eyes.  Why *do* we still use the
Mercator projection?

   Actually, Peters is a shameless self-promoter.  His "Peters Projection"
   was in fact invented over 150 years ago by a fellow named Gall.  Peters
   just popped in at the right time with the right tirade and put forth his
   "corrective" map that really wasn't so new at all.

   (The fact that he's got a domain to hawk it oughta set you off.)

   In a way, he's a lot like Mercator, who was also fairly good at self-
   promotion...sort of like a fellow named Vespucci, who comes to mind.

   best

   LFB