 Off-Topic / Geek / 3753
Re: twisted map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:25:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Suzanne D. Rich wrote:

Found this while looking for new LUG map graphics last night..

   http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/cia01/world_sm01.jpg

I'd never seen a projection like this before. Anyone know about them?

I've seen it before. I can't remember it's name, but it
seems to be area-conserving.

Jacob

It's like one of those area conserving projections, the kind that stretch
antarctica across the bottom. But instead of using the obvious north and
south poles at the top and bottom (where there's maximum distortion), it
uses an axis that goes through the north pacific and the south atlantic. The
navy wouldn't like it, but I can see how the CIA would.

It's gorgeous.

Oddly enough, even though it's labeled ".jpg", it's actually a windows
bitmap (.bmp)