 Off-Topic / Geek / 3773
3772  |  3774
Subject:
twisted map followup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 09:54:21 GMT

   Here's a quick follow-up to the matter of Arno Peters as a shameless
   self-promoter and his map as not novel.  Here's an article that's
   rather well-written and goes over the general points (including
   why the Peters/Gall maps aren't really that useful):

   http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa030201a.htm

   In a way, it does support Peters in showing that the map--in this
   case Peters's--is highly political.  He pretends it's the hottest
   thing since sliced bread, hoping that fact will follow assertion
   if he repeats it often enough.  I sympathize with his ostensible
   goal, but again, shameless self-promotion seems to be the *real* one.

   (But it's neat to see how contentious and un-boring the field of
   cartography can be!)

   best

   LFB