 Off-Topic / Geek / 3886
Re: Prime Numbers (was: Big Quantum computer designed at UW Madison)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:56:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Martineau writes:

Speaking of prime numbers..., does anyone know if there is a special name
for number whose two factors are each prime numbers? For instance, 3 and 17
are prime, an their product is 51. Is there a special term for the number
51, since the only way you can get it by multipying is by multiplying primes?
Maybe call it a second-order prime?

I believe those are the Optimus Primes.

    Dave!

:-)

It seems it would make more sense for 51 to be called a first order composite
rather than a second order prime since it is, in fact, a composite number and
*not* a prime.  Then again, any positive whole number is a product of primes
and the only thing that distinguishes 51 is that it is the product of
nonredundant primes.  I don't know if that distinction is enough for it
to merit a special name.

Maggie C.