 Off-Topic / Geek / 2405
Re: "jump.cgi" considered harmful ? (1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:12:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Last time I looked into this (and I think posted about it) it seemed fairly
obvious the biggest delays were had by IE users.  I recall the delay being
minimal when using Nutscrape.  That doesn't help me (or the overwhelming
majority of the browsing public) though, because I'm not about to switch to
Navigator or Mozilla or whatever its called this year just to read LUGNET
posts.

I don't care if its IE's fault, or this script's fault, or anyone else's
fault - the delay is real and it is incredibly annoying.

It seems that slow DNS is the culprit if Todd is right.

Well, not quite...I'm not ready to posit a cause-effect chain.  I was merely
trying to say that I couldn't fathom how the script itself could add anything
more than a small fraction of a second.  Slow DNS is one possible answer, but
if it happens to MSIE users and not to NN users, then it's more likely (IMHO)
that it's a bugaboo of some kind in MSIE.

Why does cutting and
pasting make it go faster? If Todd is right, you would have to pay the same
DNS price either way. Or is it just a perceived speedup?

Well, Mike said that when he cuts and pastes, he removes the prefix -- which
means he only goes through one DNS lookup (the second one -- the only "real"
one; the first one (doubly moot if the prefix is stripped) should be cached
anyway).

So what can be done about making IE do DNS faster? (other than changing to a
different product) Or at least changing the timeout before it gives up. I'd
be happy to wait it out, the error screen is the biggest part of the
annoyance. I usually run with many windows so I just flip away and come
back, I'd never notice the delay.

I have just (again) looked at all the options I could think to look at and I
didn't see anything that controls the timeout delay. Win 2000, IE5.5

Let's try an experiment.  Let's encode the URL that gets passed to jump.cgi
two different ways:  one with an unencoded colon and one with an encoded
colon.  The two URL versions appear here on a test page:

   http://www.lugnet.com/test/jump/colontest.html

--Todd