 Administrative / General / 8368
Re: "jump.cgi" considered harmful ? (1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:50:15 GMT

It is a way to track stats on who goes where. [...]

It's not to track stats on who goes where, although an evil server that wanted
to do that could probably do that.  Its purpose here is to track how often the
where's are being gone to relative to one another and from what pages.  It's
the inverse of the HTTP referrer.

Well I suppose the nub of this is, if we accept LP's assertion that it is
slowing things down, is the cost of doing this worth the benefit. Is the
data being collected because it can be collected, or because it needs to be
collected?

Scott A

--Todd