 Administrative / General / 8371
Re: "jump.cgi" considered harmful ? (1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 06:49:07 GMT

Recently, though, I am seeing that the delay introduced is going up,
significantly. In fact, so much delay is being added, that on this brand new
750 Mhz P3 384m Windows 2000 system (where I haven't tweaked any of the time
parameters)... on this fairly fast system, when I am dialed in, about 1/2
the time IE times out. I have to then manually strip off the jump stuff to
actually get to the URL.

Hence the subject... is it just me? Is anyone else seeing this? Has it
gotten slower over time? Can it be sped up at all? Can it be turned off? I'd
complain less if I had access to the stats, I guess, because I'm curious
about usage and stuff. But I hate paying performance penalties, and this is
a problem where throwing more sand at it (this machine is 50% faster than my
old one) didn't help.

It isn't just you.  I notice the delay as well on every machine I use - fast
or slow, on every connection I use, fast or slow.

Last time I looked into this (and I think posted about it) it seemed fairly
obvious the biggest delays were had by IE users.  I recall the delay being
minimal when using Nutscrape.  That doesn't help me (or the overwhelming
majority of the browsing public) though, because I'm not about to switch to
Navigator or Mozilla or whatever its called this year just to read LUGNET posts.

I don't care if its IE's fault, or this script's fault, or anyone else's
fault - the delay is real and it is incredibly annoying.  That's why,
whenever I remember, I always copy the shortcut, paste it into another
browser window, and strip off the jump.cgi crap.  Even though that takes a
few seconds it is ALWAYS faster than if I just right-click and tell it to
open in a new window.