 Off-Topic / Geek / 2418
Re: "jump.cgi" considered harmful ? (1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:03:05 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
Sounds good in theory, but I confess I don't know one offhand that would be
a good test. Large ones are likely to use caching weirdness and small ones
may have thin pipes that might throw us off. Or so I surmise.

Use <http://quotes-r-us.org> or <http://www.mattdm.org/mindstorms/>. These
are both on a fat pipe and don't use caching.

I'm a little confused about the caching issue.  Are we talking about DNS
caching, or some sort of in-between proxy cache?  Or is it the browser cache?
Initially I thought that we were talking about DNS lookups taking the most
time...

If the latter, mattdm.org and quotes-r-us.org have a TTL (time to live, or
caching period) of 24 hours:

    > dig www.mattdm.org

    ; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> www.mattdm.org
    ;; got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
    ;; QUERY SECTION:
    ;;      www.mattdm.org, type = A, class = IN

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.mattdm.org.         23h59m48s IN CNAME  www.kagomi.com.
    www.kagomi.com.         23h59m52s IN A  128.197.20.162

If we're not talking about DNS caches, ignore this last part.  :)

Chris