 Off-Topic / Geek / 2412
Re: "jump.cgi" considered harmful ? (1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 20:03:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
Let's try an experiment.  Let's encode the URL that gets passed to jump.cgi
two different ways:  one with an unencoded colon and one with an encoded
colon.  The two URL versions appear here on a test page:

   http://www.lugnet.com/test/jump/colontest.html

Very slow both times. I had been to Yahoo earlier in the day including that
exact URL and hadn't flushed any caches.

Don't forget, though, that this may not be the best test destination, since
www.yahoo.com isn't a single DNS location, it's many, due to that technology
whose name I can't remember... Akatomi?

Doing a tracert to www.yahoo.com shows that I was actually trying to get to
www.yahoo.akadns.net [216.32.74.52]

Ah.  Let's try a different URL, then.  You name it.  And let's put in a raw
IP address as well, so we can rule out DNS.

--Todd