 Off-Topic / Geek / 2404
Re: "jump.cgi" considered harmful ? (1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:19:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

Last time I looked into this (and I think posted about it) it seemed fairly
obvious the biggest delays were had by IE users.  I recall the delay being
minimal when using Nutscrape.  That doesn't help me (or the overwhelming
majority of the browsing public) though, because I'm not about to switch to
Navigator or Mozilla or whatever its called this year just to read LUGNET posts.

I don't care if its IE's fault, or this script's fault, or anyone else's
fault - the delay is real and it is incredibly annoying.

It seems that slow DNS is the culprit if Todd is right. Why does cutting and
pasting make it go faster? If Todd is right, you would have to pay the same
DNS price either way. Or is it just a perceived speedup?

Well, I've set FUT o-t.geek to see if someone else might have a clue about this.

So what can be done about making IE do DNS faster? (other than changing to a
different product) Or at least changing the timeout before it gives up. I'd
be happy to wait it out, the error screen is the biggest part of the
annoyance. I usually run with many windows so I just flip away and come
back, I'd never notice the delay.

I have just (again) looked at all the options I could think to look at and I
didn't see anything that controls the timeout delay. Win 2000, IE5.5

Or could it be something else I can control?

Thanks!

++Lar