 Off-Topic / Geek / 1468
Re: so-called "deep-linking" ruled okay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 02:57:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Dan:

what about using up their bandwidth?

I don't feel the least bit bad about using peoples bandwidth,

Surely you don't mean this to be true in general, right? Else you are OK with
spam, since, after all, it's just using up bandwidth, right?

and I would be using more of their bandwidth if I didn't link
directly to the relevant resource.

The whole idea with publishing something on the web is that
people should read it. If I link to a resource I just help
the publisher getting more readers (and I would actually
expect him to think that it is nice - even though I hear that
being /.'ed can be a bit hard).

But what if the publisher wants that particular resource to be presented in the
fashion that the publisher wants. Why was it OK (even way way more than OK) for
Todd to serve up the frowney face instead of a picture when people deep linked
to the Pause DB? Sounds like you think it wasn't?

I am not trying to pick a fight, exactly, but I *am* curious as to why you
think it's OK to just wantonly help yourself to resources that you don't pay
for in ways that the owner of then doesn't approve of.

But until I see an example that demonstrates the opposite, I
will assume that deep linking always _is_ fine.

See above. Lugnet images are not to be deep linked.

.no.automatic.lugnet.sigs.yet

'Twould be nice 'wunnit?